Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Imitating Greenberg II (Tipsy Tuesday)

Imitating Greenberg II

They say that imitation is the highest form of flattery. I agree. What pisses off people is that imitators try too hard to copy exactly the original and often times forget giving credit where its due.

Today's TipsyTuesday is not about the technical side of photography, but how I deconstruct a photo. Again, I say this often. I am no expert. I just do what I do. This might work for you. Only you will know.

When I look at a photo, usually people photo. First thing i try to find is the catchlight in the eye. That usually gives out the main light in a picture. If there's no visible catchlight in the eye then we just have to move on. Next is shadows. Try to find where the shadows fall in the photo because opposite of that is the light. Light travels in a straight line. If there's a very obvious shadow left side of the face, obviously the light is coming from the right.

Pretty simple.

Once you've figured out or almost figured it out. The next step is trial and error. Especially if your figuring out what light modifier to use. For the photo above, it is my second attempt in figuring out Jill Greenberg's lighting. I know, I still don't have it but not bad for a second attempt if I may say so. Here's my first attempt. Looking at it now, I think I have a long way to go. I will definitely try it again, but not soon. I wish I have strips, a seamless, more lights and more shooting space. Oh and a great face to shoot.

I didn't come up with these on my own. I also have read it online or in books. And I thank them, BIG TIME!

(Stroboholics, click on the photo for more info)

No comments:

Post a Comment