Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Bouncing Lights

Bouncing Lights


Been experimenting more with using one light. Ambient (almost) not included. This shot was made from just 1 strobe but by bouncing the lights around, i was able to get 4 lights from it.

Here's how I did it:

The strobe is coming from behind the background and above it. It's a barebulb Elinchrom Quadra A-Head Set to its lowest power (For the reason that i decided to use a higher iso hoping I can pick up some ambient). It created a rim lighting effect separating me from my background

088365_setup 3.jpg
With just the the strobe

I then added a reflector, silver side, to fill in some shadows and also to gobo the strobe from hitting my lens. It also lit up the background.

088365_setup 1.jpg
strobe plus silver reflector

a small tabletop mirror (c/o of my wife) then reflected some light from the strobe to my face. it's almost like using a snoot.

Here's the complete set up
088365 3.jpg

Final image is seen above this post. The pose was dictated by how the mirror lit my face.

To wrap it off:

Main light- from a small mirror camera right
Rim light- strobe from behind the b/g
fill light- silver reflector above me and bounced light from the ceiling
B/G light- Spill from the silver reflector.

the strobes were triggered with an Elinchrom skyport and the cam was triggered by PW plus II.










No comments:

Post a Comment